Friday, October 1, 2010

birthday the fourth



I must say that we're well into my favorite ages of childhood. Three to seven-ish have got to be the peak of parenting. There is so much adoration and love in both directions and so much fun every single day. Granted, it can be trying as well, but I think one day I will perhaps look back on these years as the very best we shared with our little one. Or maybe they just keep getting better? (We'll see what the teens bring... )
This morning for her special day, we had a sweet lighting of the birthday ring and a hunt for the four birthday fairies before heading to preschool. I was able to join the class for some play time and Naiya's birthday festivities. What a beautiful celebration of her coming and growing in the world. At circle time the story for all the children was of Naiya's birth into our family. Her amazing teacher gave her the most precious hand made felted bird in a soft flowery nest wrapped inside of four layers of tissue and wool cord: one for each of her years. I can't tell you the number of times that I have had tears in my eyes during the beautiful festivals held at this school. We fell incredibly lucky to be a part of this Waldorf community.


When we arrived home, grandma and grandpa had come for additional merrymaking. We opened a few gifts at home before they, along with her auntie, uncle and new cousin took her out to dinner while Ryan and I prepared for her party the next day. Naiya wanted to go to the "dinosaur restaurant" (Laughing Planet) and it seems they all had a fine time. Naiya was apparently chatting up several tables of other small children. I can't get over how social this kid is, especially given the shyness both Ryan and I suffered in our own childhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...