Sunday, July 17, 2011

the people have legs

Since part of what I do here in blogland is just keep a record of my lovely daughter as she does what she does and grows and changes each day, sometimes I like to record what's happening in her art.  Oddly, she's not in the past gotten very excited about drawing or painting.  I say oddly because I have presented an active opportunity for these things nearly every day since she was quite young and there are passive permanent areas in our home where she can color and draw any time she'd like.  Until a few moths ago, she mostly hadn't.


We did recently move the playroom and this new space has a kind of built-in desk where, right next to her chalk board, we set up her crayons and an array of papers and colored pencils in a more organized and inviting way.  Since then, she has embraced chalk drawing and coloring more frequently.  I don't know if I'd label her an art enthusiast just yet but I'd say we're moving in that direction.  Where she used to tire of these sorts of activities in less than three minutes, now she enters into them in her free play time and will sit with crayon or chalk for sometimes ten or twenty minutes before she excitedly comes to share her latest masterpiece.

What I never have done much of is instruct.  I draw and paint alongside her but I don't mandate or advise her on her work.  I also try to generally stay away from coloring books and pre-made pictures.  From the beginning, it has been fascinating to me just to see what she'll do on her own; for her to explore color and form from her own hand, through her own movement, thought and imagination. 


Likely these pictures she draws are of little interest to anyone but me.  (Although maybe one day some psychologist will infer interesting insights about her childhood experience through them.  Yeah..., probably not.) 

(This one is the three of us, grape vines, a house and fallen fruit.)




Anyhow, recently in her figure drawings, The People Have Legs.  This one is Naiya and her daddy.  (They used to look like this.)  It's new and I don't know what this really means developmentally.  There's probably a book out there somewhere that explains exactly what is happening in the child's consciousness, development and perception of the world when this remarkable transition takes place.  Who am I kidding?  There are probably several such books.

To me it's just enchanting and I'm endlessly intrigued by what her little hands, heart and mind produce.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely peek into your daughter's beautiful world! I love the space you've created for her, the bee mobile especially. And I think her drawings are both interesting and beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has been drawing like crazy. I love to watch the progression of pictures. I tell us what they are observing and becoming aware of. I have been wanting to also post her picture on my blog. It's on my to do list. I also started my blog to document her life. Thanks for the reminder!

    PS I love your daughter's drawing so simple and straight to the point. How old is she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Small seed, my daughter is 4 and 3/4 :) How old is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small seed, your daughter is so sweet! Thanks for adding me to your list. I haven't gotten around to creating one on here yet. Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is lovely how the stages change in a child's drawing, did read once, that in a child's picture when the sun is moved from the left to the right,in their pictures ( this happens in drawing stage development) they are ready for some type of schooling. Cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's interesting Marie. Thanks for sharing. I just went back and looked at a bunch of Naiya's drawings with suns and, oddly, she has always put the sun on the right. She also "reads" right to left at the moment and often flips through books starting at the back...hmm...perhaps someday her suns will then move to the left. Wonder what that means? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...