Sunday, July 3, 2011

summer nature table



Just today we transitioned our Nature Table into Summer.

Unlike most other seasons where generally only small changes will alter the scene on this display and play space, the landscape for our Summer table will change many, many times as different activities, stories and natural wonders infuse our lives during these very active upcoming months.

Since Naiya brought home a boat that Oma and Opa helped her make from a little kit, we decided to launch into Summer with a beachy tableau.  Most of what filled our carryover basket of seasonal items from last year were shells, so those were displayed in abundance as well.

Of course, I also had to have something hanging from the ceiling.  This spiral idea came from one of those Waldorf seasonal cycle craft books.  I can't remember which one exactly, but I'm guessing it was All Year Round (which I don't actually own but have checked out from the library several times).

To make it I had Naiya paint one of her lovely pictures on heavy watercolor paper.  Then I traced a spiral round and round (leaving a path about an inch wide) until I got to the outside edge of the page.  After cutting it with scissors, I threaded a piece of embroidery floss from the center of the spiral and hung several smaller spirals and beads down its length.

It's sort of pretty in the picture but the real magic of it comes when the breeze blows through the window and it's in motion...
like a graceful dancing gleam of light.





The little darling, Spring, has run away;
The sunshine grew too hot for her to stay.
She kissed her sister, Summer, and she said:
"When I am gone, you must be queen instead."
Now reigns the Lady Summer, round whose feet
A thousand fairies flock with blossoms sweet.


                                -Cicely Mary Barker

2 comments:

  1. What a perfectly beautiful nature table. The spiral is wonderful - I can imagine it looks even better in motion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Summer table is beautiful, and has inspired me to give ours a little face lift.
    Thank you for sharing that wonderful verse as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...